Foundation Course in Digital Film Production in Jaipur from 17th March to 01st May 2020
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, under its Skilling India in Film & Television (SKIFT) initiative, in association with The Open Space Society (TOSS), Jaipur announces Foundation Course in Digital Film Production (40 days) on TOSS campus, Jaipur.
Following are the details in this regard;
(1) Dates: 17th March to 01st May 2020 (excluding Sundays 22nd & 29th March and 05th & 12th April 2020)
(2) Timings: On an average 12hrs or more per day.
(3) Total No. of participants: 16 (Course will be conducted only if min. strength of 15 is reached)
(4) Age: Participants must be 18 years or above in age as on 01st March 2020
(5) Nationality: Indian
(6) Venue: The Open Space Society (TOSS), 142, Frontier Colony, Adarsh Nagar, Jaipur – 302 004
(7) Per participant course Fee: Rs 1 Lakh + GST i.e Rs 1,18,000/-
(8) Mode of Payment: Demand Draft to be drawn in favour of “Accounts Officer, Film & TV Institute of India, Pune”, and must be payable at Pune)
(9) Last date to apply: 30th Jan. 2020 by 4 pm
(10) Faculty Members: Ms Jayshree Kanal and Shri A S Kanal
(11) How to apply: Download application form from websites of FTII or TOSS. Fill in all details, attach Demand Draft of Rs 1,18,000/- and send it by speed post/ courier or deliver it in person to
Ms Shilpi Batra Advani,
The Open Space Society (TOSS),
142, Frontier Colony,
Jaipur –302 004
so as to reach on or before 30th Jan. 2020 by 4 pm.”
On envelope of application at top left, write “Application for Foundation Course in Digital Film Production”. Incomplete applications, applications without required Demand Draft, applications received after due date & time etc will be rejected.
(12) Medium of Instructions: The medium of instruction would be mainly English/Hindi Participants are expected to have adequate knowledge of English and/ or Hindi as regards to reading, writing & speaking.
(13) Selection Criteria: First – Come – First – Served basis. However, course will be conducted only if the minimum strength of 15 participants is reached. Selected candidates would be communicated by email. Course fees of the selected candidates will be non – refundable, non transferable, non – adjustable etc. under any circumstances. Demand Drafts of non–selected candidates would be returned within 07 days.
(14) Certificates: All participants would be given participation certificate on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
(15) Accommodation: Outstation participants may please note TOSS, Jaipur may facilitate for accommodation in Jaipur on additional payment. Please contact Ms Shilpi Batra, 9610082222, firstname.lastname@example.org for the same.
(16) Queries: For any queries contact following persons;
(i) At TOSS, Jaipur, Ms Shilpi Batra, 9610082222, email@example.com
(ii) At FTII, Pune, Prof. Sandeep Shahare – 9923242654, firstname.lastname@example.org
(17) About Faculty Members:
(A) Ms Jayashree Kanal: Film Maker & Media Teacher
1. Bachelor of Journalism, Pune University
2. M.A.(Marathi), Pune University
1. Training The Trainers (TV): Radio Netherlands Training Centre, Netherlands
2. Bringing Training Methods Up To Date : Radio Netherlands Training Centre in collaboration with AIBD, Malaysia.
3. Sub-Regional Workshop for Developing Training Resources : AIBD – FTII
4. International Workshop for Teachers of Script Writing
5. Workshop on Project Management, New Delhi
I. Film & Television Institute of India:
Headed Television Direction Dept.
Developed syllabus & structure for 1 year Television Courses and conducted Direction course for 2 years.
Written- Produced- Directed Television Programs in drama and documentary formats for Television Research & Prototype Production Unit - a UNESCO and FTII project. The aim was to explore ways of community development through television programs.
Member of former Academic Council FTII
Two Feature films for Children’s Film Society, India (CFSI) :-
1. Chhota Sipaahi (2004) – Little Soldier : Hindi, 35mm, 90 mts.
President’s award : Best Child Actor, 2005
Bronze Remi Award at Worldfest, Huston.
Jury’s special mention – Children’s Film Festival, Columbia
Various International & National Children’s Film Festivals
2. Katt Katt Kad Kaddu (2000) (Telegraphic Code and a Pumpkin) : Hindi, 35mm, 90 mts. Shown at various international children’s film festivals.
IV. Media Teacher
a. Conduct short term training programs in Digital Film Production privately as well as for FTII SKIFT initiative. (In all more than 30)
b. Curriculum designing for two-year courses in Digital Film Production.
c. Guest faculty / Examiner to different institutes
V. Jury member at various film / theatre competitions including i) National Film Awards (Feature films), ii) Indian Panorama (Feature films),
(B) Shri A S Kanal
Diploma in Cinema (1969-72) in Motion Picture Photography from Film and Television Institute of India, Pune
MA in Educational Communication
Full-bright Scholarship in Communication Technology 1990-91
AIBD course in Lighting for Television
Executive Producer and Cinematographer for two feature films made for Children’s Film Society, India
Produce & Direct social massage films( drama & documentary), corporate films
Cinematographer for a number of feature films, short films, ad films, documentaries and television series / programs (for directors like Sai Paranjpye, Amal Allana, Kailash Surendranath, Vishal Bhandari, Vinod Ganatra, Ravi Guptan, Jayashree Kanal, Jerry Pinto, G.S.Chani etc.)
Established `Vikshi Institute of Media Studies' in 1995. Conducts short courses in Cinematography (Film as well as Digital), Digital Film Production, and Editing. Organize and conduct advance workshops on Motion Picture Photography and Arri Alexa. So far we have conducted 44+ courses in electronic cinematography, 29+ courses in digital film production, 17+ courses in editing. 6+ workshops in motion picture/ digital cinema photography.
Taught Cinematography & Television Production at FTII from 1980 - 1995. Now, visiting faculty at a number of institutes
Initiated, Founder Editor Technical Journal `Lensight' at the FTII and edited it from 1991 – 1995
Edited & published a book `Cinematographer's Handbook : Film & Video' (2nd edition in 2008)
Have developed curricula for a proposed Master level course in Digital Cinema. EXECUTIVE BRIEF ready.
Contributed to syllabus / curriculum for Cinema inputs for a number of universities / institutes teaching Video Production
Member Board of Studies –State University of Performing and Visual Arts Haryana
Jury member for National Film Awards, and Panorama
For ICE Short Film Festival
Jury member Indian Panorama India International Film Festival 2015
Honored by Sri Lanka Foundation Digital Film Academy for contribution to the field of film
(18) Course Details:
Objective: To expose the participants to the process of Digital Film Production through discussions and practical. Participants will write stories, develop scripts and shoot exercises. When shooting, participants will take roles of Producer, Director, Asst. Director, Camera person, Sound person and Editor by turns.
Module 1 – Telling stories using moving images:
Narrating / Describing in writing a an action of one/two/ three character/s in one space and one time and translating it into video images to tell a story.
Classroom Inputs :
Grammar / Language of cinema
Scene, shot, sequence; Image Size, Camera Angles, Composition, Continuity (of action and direction), Controlling Space & Time, Camera movements, Cut as transition, cut away, cut back, insert, application of light and sound
Introduction to shooting and editing equipment
Writing for visuals
Story board using mobile phone with camera
Shot breakdown, Continuity Sheet, Floor plan
Practical: Each participant will execute 4 to 5 exercises
Shooting , editing silent exercises and pre-view & discussions.
Cut away –cut back
Sound Pick-up on location
Module 2 - Dialogue Scene :
Viewing how different film makers have developed dialogue scenes. Reading dialogue scripts, Writing a Dialogue Scene of two characters in one space and one time. Blocking actions / movements, storyboarding on mobile and translating it into a video film. Use sound effects to enhance mood of the characters (no music)
Classroom Inputs :
Viewing of dialogue scenes + home work – writing dialogue scenes with two characters.
Reading Dialogue scenes
Transitions – dissolve / fade/ wipe etc.
Study of characters
Role of Light
Sound balancing in post-production
Pratical: each participant will execute one exercise
Shooting and editing dialogue scene ( Role play – Producer, Directors, Camera person, Assistant director, Sound Recordist, Editor + sound designer.
Pre-view of editied exercises.
Module 3 – Playback / song picturisation workshop
Module 4 - Non Fiction :
Classroom Inputs :
Preview of Non-fiction programs
Scripting for non-fiction films
Workshop : Interview techniques - single camera and two/ three cameras
Module 5 - Script & Preparations for 10 mins Short film Projects:
(Individual OR Group to be decided)
Fiction / Non fiction. Writing one liner + synopses + story + Dialogue Script + finalizing locations+ casting actors+ rehearsals + shot breakdown + marking shots on floor plan + production management
Executing the project (Shooting, Editing, and Sound Post Production). Preview and discussion
Course end project is 10 minutes independent film
* It may please be noted that above topics/ arrangements are indicative in nature and may be changed/ omitted etc.