Basic Film Orientation Course in Auroville (near Puducherry), Tamil Nadu
Film & Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, under its Skilling India in Film & Television (SKIFT) initiative in association with Auroville Timelines and Auroville Film Institute, Auroville, Tamil Nadu will be conducting 07 days Basic Film Orientation Course in Auroville.
Details of the said course are as stated below;
1. Course Title: Basic Film Orientation Course
2. Course Overview:
What is a story ? Where is it born ? In the mind ? In the memory ? From flights of imagination or from ground reality ? The course will explore the self and the surrounding from where emerges the story. It will orient the participants with the tools and techniques to develop regular stories into a cinematic language. Beyond the basic cinema studies, the course will be hands-on involving film screenings, interactive sessions, script writing exercises, location scouting and appreciation, production design and practical direction, shooting, editing plus sound.
The participants in groups will have made their own short films through the 7 days course.
The exciting multi-dimensional Auroville/Pondicherry space will add value to the learning experience and the productions of the participants.
3. Course Duration: 07 Days
4. Dates & Timings: 11th to 17th Nov. 2019 from 9 am to 6 pm
5. Total No. of Seats: 45, Course may be cancelled if we do not reach a minimum of 30 registrations.
Upto 40 Seats will be open for all and
Upto 05 Seats will be reserved for production supporters / volunteers attending the course from: (i) Auroville and Auroville Outreach Schools; (ii) Aurovilians, Newcomers and volunteers at AVFI.
6. Participant Profile:
(i) Age: 18+ years as on 01st Nov. 2019
(ii) Interested in story telling; short filmmaking; arts and aesthetics; and humanities.
7. Nationality: Indians, Foreign Nationals who are Aurovilians, Newcomers, Volunteers & Registered Guests at Auroville.
8. Venue: Aurofilm, Kalabhumi, and OR Cinema Paradiso, Town Hall, Auroville, Tamil Nadu - 605101
9. Course Fees: Rs 8,300/- per participant (inclusive of all taxes)
10. Mode of payment: Demand Draft - to be drawn in favour of “Accounts Officer, Film & TV Institute of India, Pune”, must be payable at Pune.
11. Last date to apply: 06th Nov. 2019 by 4 pm
12. Faculty: Mr. Umesh Kulkarni
13. Faculty Profile: Three times National Award recipient, director Umesh Vinayak Kulkarni is an alumnus of the Film and Television institute of India. One of the most important contemporary voices in Indian cinema he is considered to be a pioneer of New wave in Marathi cinema. He has directed 4 feature films and 8 short films that have travelled over 30 national and international film festivals including the prestigious Berlinale, Clermont Ferrand, Rotterdam, Oberhausen, Karlovy Vary, Bourges En Court, Reignsbourg INT., Jeonju international film festivals. He has also been jury in eminent festivals like Karlovy Vary film festival, Cairo film festival, Thai film festival, International Film Festival of Kerala. Keeping up his love for short films, and in order to encourage young filmmakers to make quality short films of international standards, Umesh started conducting an extensive short film making workshops. These workshops are designed specially to understand the nuances and finer details of short films as an independent medium
14. Course Curriculum:
Day 1: Introduction;
Why Art ? Why Cinema ? Why Short Film ?
What is an idea ? Where does it come from ?
How to translate ideas in to films ?
Introduction the fundamentals of a cinematic language,
Introduction to the form of short film.
What it takes to make a short film ? From idea to script to screen - what are the processes involved ?
A brief description of the workflow : pre-production, production, post production;
Exercises of Observation: On-location;
Understanding the concept of time and concept of space.
Homework : Bring an idea.
Day 3: Formation of groups.
Develop further short film ideas within the respective groups- presentation of ideas by the end of the day.
(Ideas for minimal or no dialogue short films - approx 2-3 minutes each - in groups)
Day 4: Pre-production
Fixing location and cast; scenes design; shot division; rehearsal and general production planning/ preparation;
Day 5: Production
Participants will shoot their own shorts in groups - as per their planning and preparation
Day 6: Post Production
Editing Short films & Basic Sound Design
Day 7: Review and analysis of Short Film Productions
& Valedictory Function
15. Medium of Instruction: English
16. How to apply: Download application form from FTII website www.ftii.ac.in Fill in all details; attach required Demand Draft and send it by speed post/ courier or deliver it in person to:
Mrs. Richa Hushing,
Auroville Film Institute,
Tamil Nadu – 605 101
Phone: 0413 2622037/ 09969879319
So as to reach on or before 06th Nov.2019 by 4 pm.
On envelope of application at top left, write “Application for Basic Film Orientation Course in Auroville". Incomplete applications, applications without required Demand Draft, applications received after due date & time etc will be rejected.
17. Selection Criteria: First – Come – First – Served basis.
Prior experience in filmmaking is not compulsory, however, basic experience in photography and/or editing would be a plus. The course encourages young professionals, and also novices, amateur filmmakers, hobby artists - as long as there interest in cinema, storytelling and short filmmaking.
Selected candidates will be communicated by email. Course fees of the selected candidates will be non – refundable. Demand Drafts of non–selected candidates will be returned within 07 days.
18. Certificates: All participants will be given participation certificate on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
Hostel Facility may be available on twin sharing basis in 'Mitra Youth Hostel' @ 350/- per day including breakfast. Reservations for hostel need to be done in advance - within 6 days of confirmation of selection for the course.
Those who do not wish to avail hostel facility may arrange their own accommodation via Auroville Guest Service. https://guesthouses.auroville.org/
For any further assistance for booking, the participants may contact Hostel Co-ordinator, Auroville Film Institute at email@example.com / +919969879319.
There are several private guest house available around the periphery of Auroville, which also the participants may consider.
Additionally, we recommend renting bicycles/ 2-wheelers for mobility within Auroville. The Guesthouse may facilitate this booking. Standard Rentals are anywhere between Rs. 50 to 200/- day depending on kind of 2 wheeler one rents.
Please visit www.auroville.org for orientation and additional information on Auroville.
20. Queries: For queries, if any, please write to:
Prof. Sandeep Shahare on firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Richa Hushing on email@example.com
All efforts have been made to make the information as accurate as possible. Film and Television Institute of India will not be responsible for any loss to any person caused by inaccuracy in the information available on this Website. Any discrepancy found may please be brought to the notice of Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.