Online Course: Writing for Television Fiction & Web Series (26th October 2020 till 16th April 2021)
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune announces Online Course, Writing for Television from 26th October 2020 till 16th April 2021.
Following are the details in this regard;
(1) Name of the online course: Writing for Television Fiction & Web Series
(2) Dates & Duration: 26th October 2020 till 16th April 2021 (25 weeks with one week break, Monday-Friday. On some days classes will be conducted on Saturday and Sunday)
(3) Timing – 10 am – 1 pm and also 2 pm – 5 pm (on some days) Indian Standard Time
(4) No. of participants: 25 (Course won’t be conducted, if participants are less than 20)
(5) Fees: There will be two types of fees for the course viz.
A) Registration Fee: Rs 1000/- per participant for participants from India. Fees for participants from foreign countries, OCI, PIO, Indian Nationals presently not staying in India Rs. 3,000/-. The fee is inclusive of 18% GST.
B) Course Fee: Rs 1,35,700/- per participant for participants from India. Fees for participants from foreign countries, OCI, PIO, Indian Nationals presently not staying in India Rs. 4,07,100/-. The fee is inclusive of 18% GST/-
(6) Last date of submission of applications: 20th September 2020, 6 pm IST
(7) Age of the participant: 20 years (participants born on or before 1st October 2000)
(8) Education Criteria for the participant: Graduation as on 1st October 2000. However, under exceptional cases, HSC (12th Std. pass) may also be considered.
(9) Online Platform: Google Classroom or similar platform
(10) Medium of Instructions: English and Hindi
(11) Course Director (Main Faculty): Mr. Vinod Ranganath is a veteran in Films, Television and Theatre domain. His professional experience is as follows,
TELEVISION :- Has written thousands of episodes on television in the last 27 years. Major works among them are: - ‘Swabhimaan’ ‘Kittie Party’ &Sarkarr, all based on Concepts by Ms. Shobhaa De. ‘Itihaas’ Ekta Kapoor’s first daily Soap Opera. JassiJaisi Koi Nahi. Kituu Sab Janti, LaagiTujh Se Lagan, Sea Hawks, Saaya, LautAaoTrisha.. Mere Angane Mein Crime Patrol and many more…
FEATURE FILMS :- STORY, SCREENPLAY & DIALOGUES
• Written the Story & Screenplay of Hindi feature film, ‘Do Rahaien’ Directed by Lekh Tandon. Produced by Plus Channel: - Amit Khanna & Mahesh Bhat
• Wrote the Story, Screenplay & Dialogue of ‘Mast’ Directed by Ram Gopal Varma.
• Wrote the Screenplay of the Malayalam film, ‘Millennium Stars’, Directed by Jayaraj.
• Wrote Screenplay for Hindi Film Ishq-Vishq, for Tips, directed by Ken Ghosh
• Written the screenplay for the film ‘Vibhatsa’ directed by Jayaraj.
• Co-Written Story & Screenplay for the film ‘Khap’ Directed by Ajai Sinha
Ashutosh Gowarikar’s ‘Swadesh’ was based on the teleplay ‘Vapasi’, written for Zee’s Yule Love stories in 1995.
TEACHING: - Has conducted a Television writing programme titled Qalam for indiantelevsion.com for 3 years. Has trained more than 200 students in TV script writing in the last 17 years. Isa visiting faculty at FTII Pune & Whistling Woods International,Mumbai.
Main Tutor and Course Director of FTII’s 24 week writing for TV & Web Course. Four batches have passed out between July 2017 & January 2020.
Has trained apprentices for Star Jalsha in Kolkatta and also conducted a writing workshop for SONY TV programming Team.
Been a visiting faculty at the Jilin Animation Institute in Changchun, China
Has also conducted Master classes at the Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University Suzhou, China.
Has been Conducting Writing Workshops in Mumbai and other cities in India.
Currently Working on: - Developing a web series for MX Player & Head Writer for an upcoming Show on a Leading GEC channel.
THEATRE: - Has been doing theatre in Hindi, Malayalam and English for the last thirty eight years in Mumbai. Started doing amateur theatre during college days at St. Xavier’s College. Has won the best actor award at ‘Foyte’ The Inter Collegiate theatre competition at Mood Indigo IIT Mumbai in 1985.
Has worked with Pt. Satyadev Dubey and his group Theatre Unit since 1983 onwards. HasCo directed ‘Sambhog Se SanyaasTak’ with Satyadev Dubey in 1989.
Joined the theatre group Arpana in 1985.
Hasdirected for Arpana, an adaptation of Harold Pinter’s ‘Night out’ in Hindi titled, ‘Ekraat’ in 1991. Adapted and directed two plays, ‘Tax Free and ‘AppaYaBappa’ in 1993. Directed a revival of Tendulkar’s ‘PaanchiAiseAate Hai’ in 1998.
Conducted a theatre workshop for Malayalam actors at the Kerala Samajam in King’s Circle from September 1995 to January 1996. Formed a theatre group called Workshop Productions and directed a Malayalam play, ‘Avinash’ written by Shanta Gokhale. Directed ‘OrmagalUnnarratte’ For Pratibha theatre Group in March 1999. Recently directed MumbaiyyileKakagal an adaptation of Shafat Khan’s ‘MumbaicheKawle’.
Co Directed and acted in English Play , ‘A Suitable Bride’ which ran successfully for over a year. It premiered in June 1996.
The Film ‘What’s Your Rashee?’ Directed by Ashutosh Gowarikaris loosely based on this play, which is an adaptation of ‘Kimball Ravenswood’ a novel by Madhu Rye.
(12) How to apply: Fill the Online Application Form made available on the website. An administrative fee of Rs.1000/- (participants from India), in case of participants from foreign countries, OCI, PIO, Indian National presently not staying in Application Fee of India Rs. 3000/-should be transferred online on FTII Account through SBI Payment Portal at https://www.onlinesbi.com/sbicollect/icollecthome.htm A copy of receipt of payment shall be uploaded with the Application Form.
Any application which is incomplete with regards to information required, applicant’s photograph or copy of payment will not be accepted.
(13) Selection Criteria: Participants will be selected Based on application and Statement of Purpose (SOP) followed by Interview.
(14) Certificates: All participants would be given participation e-certificates on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
(15) Queries: For any queries please contact Mr. Milind Joshi, Advisor Outreach, FTII, on firstname.lastname@example.org
(16) Course Details
TV is a dynamic medium which has in its short journey of 35 years seen a lot of churning from the monopoly of state owned Doordarshan to over 1500 channels today in various languages and catering to different genres.
With expanding connectivity and measurement base, the television industry is a behemoth that has been stuck in the vicious cycle of appealing to mass audiences for commercial exigencies. Today television audiences are growing older and the universe watching television is shrinking. Increasingly television content is losing its resonance with the young generation.
A decade ago this would not have made too much of a difference and the marginalized niche looking for alternative would have largely been ignored and stuck with watching more exciting and cutting television content from other countries on DVD English channels and the suchlike.
However, the Internet and more crucially the mobile revolution has changed the game. Creative minds began experimenting with different formats, cutting edge content, variable durations of shows etc. Today we can carry our television shows with us wherever we go, choose when and where and how to watch it.
The future of TV content is heading towards out of the box exciting content that will not only be different and engaging but also cater to a wide range of audiences who have stopped watching traditional Indian soap operas.
The success of certain shows on the net and with the need to get a larger audience back to watching good content, internet platforms like Netflix & Amazon Prime have started commissioning original Indian content. Home grown OTT channels like Hotstar, Voot and others too have started commissioning one hour original content.
To fill this need gap, the FTII Pune has come up with an intense 25 week short term TV writing course which will primarily cater to the one hour 8-10 episode series format for the Web, and create a new generation of writers who can hold their own in this changing world.
Selected students will at the end of the course come out with 2 TV Bibles addressing two different genres.
The course will entail ONLINE teaching, in depth analysis of various shows and one on one mentoring.
This course will primarily deal with Fiction writing. However the students will be exposed to creation and working of Non Fiction shows.
The course will have leading TV/Web writers from the Industry tutoring and sharing their experiences with the students.
(17) MANDATORY REQUIREMENT
(i) A Desktop / Laptop having minimum 8 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz or better processor (Intel i3 or i5 or better). (Windows / MAC)
(ii) Operating system: a) Windows 7 or 8 or 10. b) MAC OS Sierra or later
(iii) Audio – Video software: Latest versions of VLC player, Windows Media Player or Quick Time Player.
(iv) Compatible good quality headphones/ earphones with mic
(v) Compatible HD webcam
(vi) Fixed wired Internet connection with minimum speed of 10 Mbps, with approximate download limit of 6 GB per day. (Including three hours of online class and watching films as recommended by the course director.)
(vii) Web browser: latest version of Google Chrome (Preferred), Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari.
Use of Mobile Phone/ iPad etc (in place of Laptop or Desktop Computer) to attend the classes is strictly prohibited. Such participants will not be allowed to join the classes.
(18) Terms & conditions: By agreeing to the terms & conditions in the application form, participants are confirming that they have read & understood the website advt. They are eligible to apply and fulfil all the requirements as stated in the advt. Further, participants agree that decision of FTII Director regarding admission to the course and its conduction will be final.
(19) Arbitration: Any dispute concerning this course would be subject to jurisdiction of competent courts within the territorial jurisdiction city of Pune only.
*** Payment Procedure
1. Click open the link - https://www.onlinesbi.com/sbicollect/icollecthome.htm
2. Select All India in State of Corporate / Institution, then select Educational Institutions in Type of Corporate / Institution and click Go.
3. Search/Find FTII Fees Account in Educational institutions name and click submit.
4. Select Regn. Fees Writing for TV Fiction and Web Series in Select Payment Category.
5. Feel up the payment form with requisite details and proceed for payment.
*** A copy of receipt of payment shall be uploaded with the Application Form.