Basic Course in Smartphone Film Making at New Delhi
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, under its Skilling India in Film & Television (SKIFT) initiative, in association with Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC), New Delhi, announces two batches (10 days each) of Basic Course in Smartphone Film Making at New Delhi.
Following are the details in this regard;
(a) Batch – I: 28th May to 07th June 2019 (10 days excluding Sunday 02nd June 2019)
(b) Batch – II: 09th June to 19th June 2019 (10 days excluding Sunday 16th June 2019)
(2) Timings: 10.00 am to 6.00 pm
(3) No. of participants per batch: 40 (Course will be conducted only if min. strength of 30 is reached)
(4) Age(a) Batch – I: Participants must be 18 years or above in age as on 01st May 2019
(b) Batch – II: Participants must be 18 years or above in age as on 01st June 2019
(5) Nationality: Indian
(6) Venue: IIMC, New JNU Campus, Aruna Asif Ali Road, New Delhi – 110 067
(7) Fees: Rs 12,000/- per participant (Demand Draft to be drawn in favour of “Accounts Officer, Film & TV Institute of India, Pune”, and must be payable at Pune)
(8) Last date to apply: 20th May 2019 by 4 pm
(9) Faculty: Shri Ajmal Jami
(10) How to apply: Download application form from websites of FTII or IIMC. Fill in all details, attach required Demand Draft and send it by speed post/ courier or deliver it in person to
Shri Gaurav Nagpal,
Office of Additional Director General,
Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC),
JNU New Campus, Aruna Asif Ali Road,
New Delhi – 110 067
so as to reach on or before 20th May 2019 by 4 pm.”
On envelope of application at top left, write “Application for Basic Course in Smartphone Film Making”. Incomplete applications, applications without required Demand Draft, applications received after due date & time etc will be rejected.
(11) Medium of Instructions: The medium of instruction would be mainly English and partly Hindi. Participants are expected to have adequate knowledge of English and/ or Hindi as regards to reading, writing & speaking.
(12) Selection Criteria: First – Come – First – Served basis. However, course will be conducted only if the minimum strength of 30 participants is reached. Selected candidates would be communicated by email. Course fees of the selected candidates will be non – refundable under any circumstances. Demand Drafts of non–selected candidates would be returned within 07 days.
(13) Certificates: All participants would be given participation certificate on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
(14) Accommodation: Limited accommodation (on first come first served basis) in IIMC Hostel is available for the participants on additional lumpsum payment which will be excluding meals. Participants may have their breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea/ coffee in hostel mess on payment basis. The hostel accommodation will be available from 27th May, 4 pm (Batch – I) & 08th June, 4 pm (Batch – II) to 08th June, 11 am (Batch - I) & 20th June 2019, 11 am (Batch - II). The details of hostel charges are as stated below;
|No.||Type of room||Charges|
|01||Double/ Triple Sharing – Non AC||
Rs 1500/- per person
|02||Single Occupancy – AC||Rs 10,000/- per person|
|03||Twin Sharing – AC||Rs 5,000/- per person|
Interested participants need to intimate the same in the application form and also need to make additional payment in advance (online – on the spot) at the Registration Desk at IIMC at-least a day before commencement of the course. Please note that all participants opting for hostel accommodation will need to follow IIMC hostel rules.
(15) Queries: For queries, if any, please email to Prof. Sandeep Shahare on email@example.com
(16) Course Content & structure:
Ways of seeing ..how we see the world around us
How can we see this in terms of picture and sound
Breaking up of this process into basic building blocks
The basic blocks -shots- with descriptions . The language of cinema
Shots, camera angles and movements …hows and whys
The phone camera …how to use it optimally. Bringing out the creative eye .
Tripod and handheld shooting . Using a selfie stick …gimbal for stabilizing shots
Focus, aperture, shutter speed ,frame rate …white balance and colour temperature . Aesthetics and art
Composition …basics and rules of composition
Painting with light …optimizing available light ..using ,shaping , cutting light ..selective highlighting, underplaying with light
Sound, as an integral component . Recording sound optimally using on-cam microphone, and usage of sound …natural ambient sound, speech, dialogues, interviews ,voiceovers , music and sound effects .
Linking shots together into sequences to express an idea, emotion, impression , thought ,action
Weaving sequences together to express a story line ..developing a script that uses linkages of pictures and sounds to make a cohesive structure that communicates the story. Story board .
Examples of mobile film making and shot , basic sequence shooting exercises
Planning the shoot . Each group works on a separate film as group exercise .
Editing – basic methodology, art. aesthetics . Translating the separate shots from the script into an audio visual entity through the editing process
Review and final screening