Online Course – Fundamentals of Film Direction from 28th July to 01st Aug. 2022
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, under its ‘Centre for Open Learning (CFOL)‘ initiative, announces Online Course – Fundamentals of Film Direction.
Following are the details in this regard;
(1) Name of the online Course: Fundamentals of Film Direction
(2) Dates: 28th July to 01st Aug. 2022 (05 days including Saturday & Sunday)
(3) Timings:10.30 am to 12.30 pm and 2.30 pm to 4.30 pm (Indian Standard Time – IST), 04 hrs per day
(4) Max. no. of participants: 40
(5) No. of seats available: 34 (06 seats are reserved for the applicants of previous batch)
Course may be conducted only if minimum in-total strength of 32 participants is reached
(6) Age:18 years & above as on 01st July 2022
(7) Educational Qualification: HSC (12th pass). In exceptional cases, 10th pass may be considered
(8) Online Platform: Google Classroom & Google Meet platform
(9) Medium of Instructions: English & Hindi
(10) Per Participant Course fee:
(a) For Indian Nationals: Rs 3,900/- (base fee = Rs 3,305/- and GST = Rs 595/-)
(b) For Foreigners including NRI, OCI etc. and also those Indian Nationals who are presently staying outside India: Rs 11,700/- (base fee = Rs 9,915/-/- and GST = Rs 1,785/-).
Course fee of selected participants will be non-refundable, non-transferrable, non-adjustable, etc. under any circumstances. Course fee of all the non – selected participants will be returned within 07 – 10 days of the course commencement.
(11) Mode of payment: Online through SBI Collect (along with application form).
(12) Due date & time to submit application: 04th July 2022, 6 pm IST. Application submitted after due date & time will not be considered.
(13) Selection Criteria: On First – Come – First – Served Basis. List of selected participants will be published on our website and selection emails will also be sent to all the selected participants.
(14) Online platform: FTII will be using “Google Classroom” and participants are requested to get familiarized with the same. Steps to join online class including login id & password will be shared with each selected participant in the selection email.
(15) Computer literacy: It is the participant’s responsibility to be technologically capable to take an online course. Participants must be computer literate.
(16) MANDATORY REQUIREMENT:
Since the course is online, participants must have following facilities;
(i) A Desktop / Laptop having minimum 4 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz or better processor (Intel i3 or i5 or better). (Windows / MAC)
(ii) Operating system: a) Windows 7 or 8 or 10. b) MAC OS Sierra or later
(iii) Audio – Video software: Latest versions of VLC player, Windows Media Player or Quick Time Player.
(iv) Compatible good quality headphones/ earphones with mic
(v) Compatible HD webcam
(vi) Internet pack of minimum 5 GB per day exclusively for this course. It is recommended to have fixed wired Internet connection with minimum speed of 10 Mbps or more.
(vii) Web browser: Latest version of Google Chrome (Preferred), Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari.
Use of Mobile Phone (in place of Laptop or Desktop Computer) to attend the classes is strictly prohibited. Such participants will not be allowed to join the classes.
(17) Faculty Members: Avinash Roy and Jasmine Kaur Roy
Avinash Roy and Jasmine Kaur Roy are National Award winning filmmakers, producing and directing short films and documentaries under their own banner Wanderlust Films. Both are FTII graduates and their final year diploma film ‘Saanjh’ (The Dusk) received the National Award in 2004 as did their documentary film ‘Amoli’ in 2018.
Their focus area of work has been development communication and some of their films have received recognition at various national and international festivals. Both Jasmine and Avinash also work as freelance writers for the Indian television industry and have written screenplay and dialogues for various shows on popular mainstream television channels.
Jasmine was selected as a participant Director for Berlinale Talents 2015 and she has also served on the non-feature juries of the National Film Awards as well as the International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
(18) How to apply:
1. Click open the link - https://www.onlinesbi.com/sbicollect/icollecthome.htm OR visit www.onlinesbi.com and further click on “SB Collect” which is at the top left, vertically 06th from left to right.
2. Read the “Terms Used”, then tick/ click on the ‘check box’ and further click on “Proceed”
3. Select All India in State of Corporate / Institution, then select Educational Institutions in Type of Corporate/ Institution and click Go.
4. Search/Find FTII Fees Account in Educational institutions name and click submit.
5. In the payment category select “B11 Fundamentals of Film Direction (Online)”.
6. Fill-up the application form with requisite details and proceed for payment.
7. Make necessary payment of Rs 3,900/- OR Rs 11,700/- as the case may be.
8. Once payment is done, please note "SBcollect Reference Number" (mentioned in payment confirmation receipt). This may be required for future reference.
9. If possible, digitally store the receipt of payment. This can be carried out in one of the following ways;
(i) by taking printout of receipt of payment, scan & save it
(ii) by taking screenshot of payment (if using mobile) or printscreen (if using computer)
(iii) by simply taking a photograph from mobile
10. No document/ certificate related to educational qualification, age etc. is to be attached. Participants’ self – declaration in the application form is sufficient.
11. Terms & conditions: By agreeing to the terms & conditions in the application form, participants are confirming that they have read & understood the website advt. They are eligible to apply and fulfil all the requirements as stated in the advt. Further, participants agree that decision of FTII Director regarding admission to the course and its conduction will be final.
Further to add in this, it is expected of the participants that during the class they must mute their mics but keep their cameras on unless otherwise instructed. Keeping camera off throughout the class or not heeding to instructions to switch on the camera will be seen as an act of indiscipline and will lead to expulsion from the Course and forfeiture of the Course fee. Decision of FTII Director regarding conducting the course in all respects will be final.
(19) Communication with participants: All communications with the participants will be carried out through email only. List of shortlisted participants will be published on FTII website and selection email will be sent to the selected participants on their registered email id
(20) Certificates: All participants would be given participation e-certificates on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
(21) Queries: For any queries please contact Mr. Milindkumar Joshi, Assistant Outreach Officer, FTII, on firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com OR call on 020 – 2558 0085
This course is for participants with little or no filmmaking experience. This is an introductory course and it is not meant to be a substitute for longer-term programs.
The course aims at developing a basic understanding of the art and craft of Film Direction and gaining an insight into the Aesthetical and Philosophical concerns of Film Direction. The course will help to understand:
• How a Directors’ vision comes to life from idea to screen.
• What are the tools available to help implement the Director’s vision in the film.
• How a Director makes informed creative decisions.
• How a Director communicates with cast, crew and, ultimately, the audience.
The course will be conducted through a series of online classes incorporating discussions, screenings and analysis of film excerpts etc. The contours of the course will broadly be as under:
• What is Cinema?
• Language of Cinema
• Space and Time in Cinema
• Film Form
• Film Image
• Film Sound
• Continuity, Montage, Mise-en –Scene
• The Film Narrative and Narrative Structures
• Elements of Story
• The Screenplay
• Working with Actors
• The Role of film Director