Course in Film Criticism & the Art of Review at New Delhi from 28th May to 19th June’ 19
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, in association with Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC), New Delhi, announces 20 days Course in “Film Criticism & the Art of Review” at New Delhi.
Following are the details in this regard;
(1) Name of the Course: Course in “Film Criticism & the Art of Review”
(2) Duration: 28th May to 19th June 2019 (20 days – excluding Sundays)
(3) Timings: 10 am to 5.00 pm
(4) No. of participants: 24 (Course will be conducted only if minimum strength of 20 is reached)
(5) Age: Participants must be 18 years or above in age as on 01st May 2019
(6) Nationality: Indian
(7) Educational Qualifications: HSC (12th pass). In exceptional case, 10th pass may be considered.
Applicants interested should have good communication and writing skills. They should have an unbiased analytical mind that can engage relevantly with contemporary issues and the Cinemas of their times. They need to have a basic skillset like appreciation of different genres and kinds of Films and a flair for expressing their observations in words. A preliminary familiarity with Film history will be an asset. Those interested in working in Television/ Radio/ Podcasts etc. may need additional skills in public speaking & the art of conversation. Though a basic proficiency in speaking and writing in English/ Hindi is required to take the course, people from all language regions of the country are encouraged to participate.
(8) Venue: IIMC, New JNU Campus, Aruna Asif Ali Road, New Delhi – 110 067
(9) Course Fees: Rs 30,000/- per participant (Inclusive of GST)
(10) Mode of payment: Demand Draft to be drawn in favour of “Accounts Officer, Film & TV Institute of India, Pune”, and must be payable at Pune
(11) Last date to receive applications: 22nd April 2019 by 4 pm
(12) Faculty: Ms Rajula Shah
(13) Course Details:
(a) Context of the Short Course: The significance of the Film Critic in Cinema cannot be overstated. It is a misconception that anyone can review a film. How can one do justice to the job without the proper tools to 'read' a film? Moreover, having the freedom to say what you want, require enormous discipline and craft of expression. It’s an exciting profession, influential to the making and unmaking of the flipflops of industry; helping viewers choose between films and creating new viewership. A competent Critic of lasting value offers a vision of Cinema, of the Arts, of Society/ Politics or something beyond a particular film.
The co-existence of a critical (Film Critic) & a creative mind (Filmmaker) makes for a symbiotic, responsible society and living culture, which is sorely missed in the current culture of paid/ sponsored reviews. A serious Film Critic’s presence and response feed back into the film environment, making it stronger and more vibrant. The scope for such critical thinking is increasing with the changing scenario of online film viewing, blogging & other film based content creation. The field is emergent and holds a lot of promise for young minds and independent voices to take stage.
(b) Objective of the Short Course
This short course is designed to provide a basic grounding in the discipline of Film Criticism. It intends to train the participant into becoming a serious viewer of Cinema by expanding her/his awareness of its History & Practice. And thus enable them to develop a Critic's voice that can help the viewer choose from a vast number/ kind of films available. Through a critical appreciation of Cinema, it seeks to build a sensibility that combines perception, information and ideas in creative ways to influence public opinion, create awareness about things that matter.
The course includes the study of significant films in the History of Cinema through a critical thinking. It will provide reading lists and materials to continue study thence.
(c) Course plan
1 hr/ day of Film History 20 hrs
3 hrs/ day of Film Viewing 40 hrs
1 hr/ day of Film Theory 20 hrs
1 hr/ day of Film Analysis & Criticism 20 hrs
2 hr/ day of writing on Film 20 hrs
(14) How to apply: Download application form from websites of FTII or IIMC. Fill – in all details, attach required Demand Draft of Rs 30,000/- and send it by speed post/ courier or deliver it in person to
Shri Gaurav Nagpal,
Office of Additional Director General,
Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC),
JNU New Campus, Aruna Asif Ali Road,
New Delhi – 110 067
so as to reach on or before 22nd April 2019 by 4 pm.”
On envelope of application at top left, write “Application for Course Film Criticism & the Art of Review”. Incomplete applications, applications without required Demand Draft, applications received after due date & time etc will be rejected.
(15) Medium of Instructions: The medium of instruction would be mainly English and partly Hindi. Participants are expected to have adequate knowledge of English and/ or Hindi as regards to reading, writing & speaking.
(16) Selection Criteria: On merit basis, based on the marks awarded to the questions as asked in the application form. Demand Drafts (Course fees) of all the non selected applicants will be returned within 10 days after announcing the results/ merit.
(17) Certificates: All participants would be given participation certificate on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
(18) Accommodation: Limited accommodation (on first come first served basis) in IIMC Hostel is available for the participants on additional lumpsum payment which will be excluding meals. Participants may have their breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea/ coffee in hostel mess on payment basis. The hostel accommodation will be available from 27th May 8 am to 20th June 2019, 8 pm. The details of hostel charges are as stated below;
Type of room
Single Occupancy – Non AC
Rs 3,000/- per person
Single Occupancy – AC
Rs 20,000/- per person
Twin Sharing – AC
Rs 10,000/- per person
Interested participants need to intimate the same in the application form and also need to make additional payment in advance in cash at the Registration Desk at IIMC at-least a day before commencement of the course. Please note that all participants opting for hostel accommodation will need to follow IIMC hostel rules.
(15) Queries: For queries email to email@example.com or call 09923242654 Prof. Sandeep Shahare, only between 10 am to 5pm on weekdays (except Saturdays & Sundays)