Foundation Course in Screenplay Writing (20 days) in Nainital,Uttarakhand
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) Pune under its Skilling India in Film & Television (SKIFT), in association with NITRIC Films, Mumbai, announces 20 days Foundation Course in Screenplay Writing to be conducted in Nainital, Uttarkhand.
Following are the details in this regard;
(1) Dates & Duration: 01st to 22nd Nov 2019 (20 days excluding Sundays 10th & 17th Nov 2019)
(2) Timings: 10 am to 5 pm
(3) No. of participants: 24 (Course will be conducted only if minimum strength of 20 is reached)
(4) Age: Participants must be 18 years or above in age as on 01st Nov. 2019
(5) Nationality: Indian
(6) Educational qualifications: HSC (12th Std.) pass. In exceptional cases, 10th pass may be considered
(7) Additional requirement: Basic knowledge of computer operations is must as the participants will be working on screenplay writing software.
(8) Venue: Silverton Hotel, Sher Ka Danda, Upper Mall Road, Nainital
(9) Fees: Rs 30,000/- per participant inclusive of GST
(10) Mode of Payment: Demand Draft in favour of “Accounts Officer, Film & TV Institute of India, Pune” and must be payable at Pune
(11) Name of Faculty Member (Course Director): Ms Bela Negi
(12) Last date & time to apply: 27th Sept 2019 by 4 pm
(13) How to apply: Take print-out of application form from the FTII website (www.ftiindia.ac.in) Fill in all the details, attach said Demand Draft of Rs 30,000/- and Speed Post/ Courier OR deliver it in person to;
Ms Anusuya Sah Jagati,
Upper Mall Road,
PIN – 263 001
Phone numbers: 9897988124
so as to reach on or before 27th Sept. 2019.
On envelope of application at top left, write “Application for Foundation Course in Screenplay Writing”. Incomplete applications, applications without required Demand Draft and or received after due date & time etc will be rejected.
(14) Medium of Instructions: The medium of instruction would be English and Hindi. Participants are expected to have adequate knowledge of English and/ or Hindi as regards to reading, writing & speaking.
(15) Selection Criteria: First – Come – First – Served basis. However, course will be conducted only if the minimum strength of 20 participants is reached.
All the selected candidates would be communicated by email. Once admission is offered, the same cannot be cancelled. Course fee of selected candidates will be non – refundable. Course fees of all non – selected candidates would be returned within 04 days.
(16) Certificates: All participants would be given participation certificate on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
(17) Accommodation & other arrangements for outstation participants: Limited accommodation may be arranged on double/ triple sharing basis. Please contact Ms Anusuya Sah Jagati from Nainital, on 9897988124, 9372299667 on weekdays between 10 am to 6 pm in this regard.
Interested participants also need to intimate the same in the application form and further need to make additional payment in advance in cash at the Registration Desk at Venue at-least a day before commencement of the course.
(18) Queries: For any queries email to email@example.com or call 09923242654 (Prof. Sandeep Shahare, FTII Pune) preferably on weekdays between 10 am to 6 pm. Participants may also send message/ Whasapp on the same number. As regards to hostel facilities, status of application form etc, please call Ms Anusuya Sah Jagati from Nainital, on 9897988124, 9372299667 on weekdays between 10 am to 6 pm.
(19) Course Contents:
Objective: 20 days course introduces students to the basics of screenplay writing, while helping them develop an original idea into a 5-10 minute short film, and a 1 page feature idea
1. Storytelling: What are stories? Elements of storytelling. Mythology and folklore.
2. The Short Film Form: Understanding short films and Visual Storytelling by watching and analysing various short films.
3. Elements of a screenplay: Premise/theme, character, plot, conflict and setting.
4. Feature film viewing & analysis: Analyzing a film while discussing in detail the elements of its screenplay.
5. Theme & Premise: What is my film about? What is it trying to say?
6. Character: Finding interesting characters for our stories.
7. Ideation- Exploring short film ideas in groups
8. Exercise: Writing the short film treatment individually
9. Discussion: Analyzing each short film idea.
10. Exercise: Writing a treatment note for the short film idea.
1. Discussion: Analyzing individual treatment notes.
2. More on Character: Need v/s Want, Character Arc, 3D characters.
3. Setting: The world of the story
4. Conflict: Why conflict? Sources of conflict: internal, external.
5. Story and Plot: The action, emotions and thematic implications
6. Thinking Visually: Showing v/s telling
7. Step Outline: Breaking down the story into scenes and thinking visually.
8. Viewing & discussion: Watching a feature film and discussing it from the point of view of cinematography, sound design and editing – to see how these support the screenplay.
1. Structure: the Bridge between your character and audience. Emotional significance of classical 3-act structure. Structure as the underlying skeleton, Intuitive structuring of screenplays
3. The challenge of Inevitable Ending
4. Subplots and Secondary characters
5. Scene Design
6. Dialogues & Silences & voice-overs
7. The Screenplay Writing Format and Software
8. Individual Feedback on Step Outline.
1. Writing a Feature: The form, challenges, and unique aspects of writing narrative feature films
2. From Script to Screen: A brief Introduction to the process of making films.
3. Industrial Aspects: Copyright, Registering your scripts, Agents, Contracts, Career.
4. Individual Feedback on final draft of Screenplay.
A combination of interactive lectures, writing exercises, viewing and analysing films in conjunction with group as well as individual feedbacks on student's work will be used throughout the course. Clips and videos will be screened to illustrate the point at hand, and reference materials will be provided.
One 5-10 minute short film script
One page feature film idea