Online Course – Foundation Course in Digital Cinematography from 16th Aug to 03rd Sept 2021
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune under its ‘FTII Online’ initiative, announces Online Course – Foundation Course in Digital Cinematography. The course will be conducted by the Film Cinematography Dept., FTII, Pune.
AIM of the course is to make a participant aware of what is art of Cinema in the purview of Cinematography and learn to practice its basics.
Following are the details in this regard;
(1) Name of the Course: Foundation Course in Digital Cinematography (Online)
(2) Dates: 16th Aug. to 03rd Sept. 2021 (Monday to Friday)
(3) Duration: 15 working days (5 + 5 + 5days)
(i) First five days (16th to 20th Aug.): Introduction to cinema, its grammar and the discipline of cinematography.
(ii) Second five days (23rd to 27th Aug.): Preparation for a short film of 3-5 mins duration. Learn to (a) develop Story Outline (b) do Shot breakdown (c) Create Floor Plan (d) & Storyboard. Shoot and Edit utilizing the weekend. Faculty members will be available on phone and or Google Meet for guidance.
(iii) Last five days (30th Aug. to 03rd Sept.): Discussions on the individual films. The discussion will enhance the understanding of camera work and aesthetics.
(4) Timings: 10.30 am to 12.30 pm and 2.30 pm to 4.30 pm (Indian Standard Time – IST). FTII will form sub-groups of 4 – 5 participants who will interact with each other off the class hours and will carry-out group activity by exchanging emails & chat on WhatsApp etc.
(5) Max. no. of participants: 20 (Course will be conducted only if min. strength of 16 participants is reached)
(6) Age:18 years &above as on 01st Aug. 2021 (participants born on or before 31st July 2003)
(7) Educational Qualification: HSC (12th pass). In exceptional cases, 10th pass may be considered
(8) Pre course commencement requirement:
FTII will share some YouTube & FTII film links like (a) What is a Shot (b) Image Sizes (c) Camera Movements (d) Action Continuity, (e) Persistence of Vision etc. It is mandatory for the participants to watch all the films before course commencement.
(9) Online Platform: Google Classroom & Google Meet platform
(10) Medium of Instructions: Mainly English & Partially Hindi
(11) Per Participant Course fee:
(a) For Indian Nationals: Rs 23,500/- (base fee = Rs 19,915/- and GST = Rs 3,585/-)
(b) For Foreigners including NRI, OCI etc. and also those Indian Nationals who are presently staying outside India: Rs 70,500/- (base fee = Rs 59,746/- and GST = Rs 10,754/-).
Course fee of selected participants will be non-refundable, non-transferrable, non-adjustable, etc. under any circumstances. Course fee of all the non – selected participants will be returned within 07 – 10 days of the course commencement.
(12) Mode of payment: Online through SBI Collect (along with application form).
(13) Due date & time to submit application: 9th Aug 2021, 6 pm IST. Application submitted after due date & time will not be considered.
(14) Selection Criteria: On First – Come – First – Served Basis.List of selected participants will be published on our website and selection emails will also be sent to all the selected participants.
(15) Online platform: FTII will be using “Google Classroom” and participants are requested to get familiarized with the same. Steps to join online class including login id & password will be shared with each selected participant in the selection email.
(16) Computer literacy: It is the participant’s responsibility to be technologically capable to take an online course. Participants must be computer literate.
(17) MANDATORY REQUIREMENT:
Since the course is online, participants must have following facilities;
(i) Participants should have a DSLR or a video camera, camera tripod and possibly with an ND Filter (density range of 0.3 to 2.1 minimum if it’s a variable one ). The participant should be well versed with the equipment.
(ii) A Desktop / Laptop having minimum 8 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz or better processor (Intel i3 or i5 or better). (Windows / MAC)
(ii) Operating system: a) Windows 7 or 8 or 10. b) MAC OS Sierra or later
(iii) Audio – Video Edit software: Video Player with Latest Codecs pack installed
(iv) Compatible good quality headphones/ earphones with mic
(v) Compatible HD webcam
(vi) Internet pack of minimum 5 GB per day exclusively for this course. It is recommended to have fixed wired Internet connection with minimum speed of 10 Mbps or more.
(vii) Web browser: Latest version of Google Chrome (Preferred), Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari.
(viii) Participants shall keep a few practical lamps & stationeries handy for practical. Details will be shared via WhatsApp a week before the course commences.
ix) Also, the participants must arrange for a model or actor to carry out exercises - and more than one model to make the final short film as course product of each.
Use of Mobile Phone (in place of Laptop or Desktop Computer) to attend the classes is strictly prohibited. Such participants will not be allowed to join the classes.
(18) Course Director: Prasantanu Mohapatra
Prasantanu Mohapatra, having studied Cinematography at Film & Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, in 1990 has associated himself with writing, directing of short films, features, documentaries along with cinematography for 30 long years. His experience is rich with work opportunity with directors like Mani Kaul (Idiot), Hanshal Mehta (Jayate), Sudhir Mishra (Is Raat ki Subah Nahin), Kalpna Lajmi (Rudali).
He cinematographed several award winning films of regional and national level. ''Hello Arsi" is the last noted film directed by Sambit Mahanty which won 3 National Awards in 2018. He was a part of selection jury of IFFI Goa, 2019.
He taught at many film schools for his academic interest and presently serves as a faculty in Cinematography department of FTII, Pune.
(19) How to apply:
1. Click open the link - https://www.onlinesbi.com/sbicollect/icollecthome.htm OR visit www.onlinesbi.com and further click on “SB Collect” which is at the top left, vertically 06th from left to right.
2. Read the “Terms Used”, then tick/ click on the ‘check box’ and further click on “Proceed”
3. Select All India in State of Corporate / Institution, then select Educational Institutions in Type of Corporate/ Institution and click Go.
4. Search/Find FTII Fees Account in Educational institutions name and click submit.
5. In the payment category select “B3 Introduction to Digital Cinematography Online”.
6. Fill-up the application form with requisite details and proceed for payment.
7. Make necessary payment of Rs 23,500/- OR Rs 70,500/- as the case may be.
8. Once payment is done, please note "SBcollect Reference Number" (mentioned in payment confirmation receipt). This may be required for future reference.
9. If possible, digitally store the receipt of payment. This can be carried out in one of the following ways;
(i) by taking printout of receipt of payment, scan & save it
(ii) by taking screenshot of payment (if using mobile) or printscreen (if using computer)
(iii) by simply taking a photograph from mobile
10. No document/ certificate related to educational qualification, age etc. is to be attached.Participants’ self – declaration in the application form is sufficient.
11. Terms & conditions: By agreeing to the terms & conditions in the application form, participants are confirming that they have read & understood the website advt. They are eligible to apply and fulfil all the requirements as stated in the advt. Further, participants agree that decision of FTII Director regarding admission to the course and its conduction will be final.
Further to add in this, it is expected of the participants that during the class they must mute their mics but keep their cameras on unless otherwise instructed. Keeping camera off throughout the class or not heeding to instructions to switch on the camera will be seen as an act of indiscipline and will lead to expulsion from the Course and forfeiture of the Course fee. Decision of FTII Director regarding conducting the course in all respects will be final.
(20) Communication with participants: All communications with the participants will be carried out through email only. List of shortlisted participants may be published on FTII website and selection email will be sent to the selected participants on their registered email id.
(21) Certificates: All participants would be given participation e-certificates on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
(22) Queries: For any queries please contact Madhulika on email@example.com
1. How films are made (fiction and nonfiction)
a. Pre-Production –
c. Post production or DI
2. What is Cinematography and who is a cinematographer ?
3. How do we see? What is an image ?
4. Understanding light
5. Sequence, Scene, Shot & Shot size
6. Visual Composition, Camera Angles- Practical- Shooting still pic to practice composition and camera angles
7. Lens- focal length/aperture/ focus/ perspective- Practical - controlling death of field and visual perspective
8. Exposure – Practical – exposing still pictures to understand exposure
9. Shooting managed with domestic lamps (Practicals)
10. Final Take away: A short film or a sequence with 8-10 shots following principles of continuity, composition after writing the action sequence, making shot division and story board.